Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Fancysimplecheap Strawberry Sauce


How do you know I'm happy?

I cook.

And cook, and cook, and cook.

Case in point, the other night my fiance brought home good news from work. I was so happy, I cooked his favourite meal (curry with rice), then proceeded to get creative and make a strawberry sauce to put on ice cream. The results were pretty good, so I thought I would share with all one of you who are reading this!

This is a surprisingly easy to make, but still decidedly fancy, sauce. Do whatever you please with it, for it is also very versatile.

Prep time: 5 minutes
Serves: 2-4 people (depending on what you do with it)
Cooking time: 30 minutes
Difficulty: SUPER easy
Cost: Under $5 (use whatever liquor you have in your cupboard!

Ingredients

-1 pint strawberries, chopped finely
-1 tsp vanilla
-2 tsp sugar
-splash of dark rum (or champagne, vodka or fruit wine... whatever you have lying around, really! I used dark rum)

Cook SLOWLY, covered on low heat. Do not boil. 30 min. When the mixture appears to be half solid and half liquid, remove from heat and leave covered to stand and thicken. Try adding raspberries or rhubarb.

Pour over ice cream, frozen yogurt or sorbet, or add to strawberry shortcake! Good fresh and hot, or chilled.

A quick note to add that I am doing another fiddlehead recipe before the season is over, and I'm currently editing a video to accompany that! Yes I did a cooking video. It should be up within the end of the week. The video may come before the recipe, in fact, because I'm weird like that. Keep an eye out!

No comments:

Post a Comment